A number of celebrities, including movie stars and musicians, help use their platform of popularity to increase awareness about causes that are near and dear to their hearts. Years ago Princess Diana came to the aid of thousands, supporting charity relief work and AIDS awareness. Even though Princess Diana is gone, her memory and dedication to charity continues to persevere. Today, some of the most popular celebrity figures to support charitable causes include:
- John Legend – Mr. Legend is a devout supporter of LIFEbeat, Global Fund, Second Harvest, Peace One Day, Malaria No More and Live Earth.
- George Clooney – A devout supporter of the United Way, Mr. Clooney is also on the board of trustees and supports other groups such as Ante up for Africa, CARE and Rock for Darfur.
- Sir Elton John – A longtime friend to Princess Diana’s, the Elton Johns AIDS Foundation has helped raise more than $150 million in more than 55 countries. Mr. John also supports Move for AIDS, MusiCares, War Child and Kids.
- Ellen DeGeneres – While funny on television, she’s serious about her charity support off screen. She devoutly supports human and animal rights, and is an activist against suffrage movements.
- Brad Pitt – Mr. Pitt’s lengthy list of charities includes fostering, adoption, organ donation, human rights, weapons reduction and many more. He also donated to the Hurricane Katrina devastation relief funds and the rebuilding of New Orleans, Cure Autism Now, ONE Campaign, Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs of Canada and the Mineseeker Foundation.
- Bono – Not just the lead singer of the cult-classic group U2, this music legend supports Live 8, Mencap, DATA, Zero Hunger and Witness.
- Former President Bill Clinton – Former President Clinton founded The Clinton Foundation Climate Change Initiative, the Clinton Global Initiative and the William J. Clinton Foundation, which has a special focus on cancer and HIV/AIDS.
- President Barrack Obama – President Obama has helped donate money towards a cure for neurofibromatosis, supports CARE and KIDS.
- Annie Lennox – Once simply a pop diva, this British musical talent is a force to be reckoned with. She raises money for Amnesty International, Greenpeace, Nelson Mandela’s 46664 Foundation and the British Red Cross. She is also the recipient of the British Services to Humanity Award, bestowed upon her in 2008.
- Angelina Jolie – As a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nation’s Refugee Agency, Ms. Jolie donates time and assistance to humanitarian crises around the world, including Doctors without Borders and Global Action for Children.
In working to support fundraisers and charities, many support groups have turned to utilizing awareness bracelets, which are simply rubber bracelets (wristbands) that serve as promotional bands. Reminderband offers a wide selection of sizes, colors and designs, perfect for helping spread the word about organizations, causes and fundraising events.