“I am a strong, independent woman.” “I choose love.” “I will make healthy, positive choices for myself.” “I can quit smoking.” “I am loved.” “I can do anything I put my mind to.”
Affirmations can become self-fulfilling prophesies. You see, how we think and look at ourselves have a distinct effect on our attitudes and how we behave and react. Our upbringing and environment have a strong impact on how we perceive ourselves and the things around us.
“You’re fat.” “You can’t do it.” “You’re a klutz.” These negative statements are sometimes some things we repeat to ourselves, however subconsciously. These negative scripts (whether there is some truth to them or not) affect our behavior and how we see ourselves.
Self-affirmations are a way for you to counter negative thoughts you may subconsciously have. It is important to face the mirror and look yourself in the eye and make a positive statement about yourself. This can help you condition your mind to see yourself in a more positive light and undermine any negative beliefs you may have of yourself. Then you can act in a more positive way and make major changes in your life, for the better.
Here are some things you can do to make positive affirmations about yourself:
- Take stock of yourself. Look at areas in your life you are happy about and areas you would like to improve. Ask, “What kind of life do I want to have?” Make a list of things that are important to you. Take a look of what you think are your negative qualities. This can come from how you perceive yourself and the comments and criticisms you have received. Remember, nobody’s perfect and it’s alright to have flaws. After all, you are human. You don’t need to make a judgment of whether these negative perceptions are true or not.
- Take stock of your goals. Try to match your positive qualities with the goals you have and see how your positive qualities can help towards achieving these goals. If you want to improve your career, you can study what qualities you have can help you improve your career. You can say, “I am a determined, hardworking person.”
- Write down releasing affirmations. You can start letting go of negative self-perceptions by making releasing affirmations. You can say, “I’m leaving the past behind.” Or “I am moving on and moving forward.”
- Write down positive affirmations. Study each of the items you listed down and then write a positive statement for each item. For negative items, you can turn this around and make a positive statement about it. For instance, if you wrote down good health, you can say, “I will make healthy life choices.” Or “I will lose weight!”. If you want to kick a bad health habit such as smoking, you can say, “I can overcome this habit.” If you feel particularly insecure, you can say, “I am significant.” “I am cherished.”
- Make these affirmations prominent in your thoughts. Say your affirmations regularly. Look at yourself in the mirror as you make these statements. Post it in areas where you can easily see it. Wear it with you! Custom wristbands are an excellent way for you to affirm yourself regularly. With Reminderbrand’s custom silicone wristbands, you can have these self-affirmation statements with you every day. The advantage is that these silicone bracelets are durable and highly visible. You can order one or a few, with the prices going down as your order increases.
Here are some samples of affirmation statements you can have in your customizable wristband:
- I love my work.
- I love my body.
- The world is my oyster. I will look for opportunities around me.
- Fortune favors the brave. I will be brave.
- My life is filled with joy and peace.
- I am worth it.
- I open myself up to goodness and love.
- I feel great! It’s wonderful to be alive.